Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indesign, tables, moving rows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudonam

MIS
Dec 5, 2006
IE
Hi there,

I was hoping that someone may be able to help me.

I have created a straight forward table and styled it a tad i.e. alternative colours on the rows. I now need to move the text on a complete row. When I select the text on the row and copy and paste it i.e. 3 rows above it includes the style that I applied to it. How do I just move the text in a row with taking along the style.

Thanks a mill!

I don't think you can. Styling tables is a pain, although Teacup Software has a nifty plug-in (for a price) that allows speedy formatting of table cells.

Thanks for replying.

That is just nuts!

I design a lot of reports for one particular client. They usually have a rake of tables, which change quite a bit before they go to print. So I have to recreate them again - rarr!

So I have finally found something negative about Indesign!

I have found the lack of being able to format table cels/rows/columns a drawback as well, but considering how well it does everything else, I still love InDesign.

I just take my time before starting a table and try to plan beforehand as far as possible, but I can imagine a client who keeps changing their minds would be a real nuisance.

I'm just re-reading your post and you said " it includes the style that I applied to it. How do I just move the text in a row with taking along the style."

Do you mean that you DON'T want to take the style or you do?

So, if you copy and paste a row, you want it to NOT take the styling you've applied? And are you talking about the text styling or things like strokes and fills on the cells?

Of course the styling will go with it...just as when you copy/paste anything. If you've applied an alternating pattern to the table, when you paste the row in, it will keep the alternating pattern consistent. I don't think this is a drawback, as I think it would be more frustrating to style something, then paste it and have it strip out the formatting on me.

You are pasting the row within another cell. First, create a new row from the Table menu, then select the entire blank row and choose paste. By selecting the entire row, you will be replacing the row with the copied row, instead of pasting a row within a row...make sense?

Ekwoman

You are just fantastic!

Where I went wrong was that I did not select the entire row.

A virtual bottle of Champagne on the way to you!

Thanks again, this will save me so much trouble i.e. the last report I did had 32 charts that the client kept on changing!

[thumbsup2]

Glad I could help...wasn't sure I was making sense in my hurried post. Thanks for the graphic...made all the sense in the world then!

Off to drink my virtual Champagne now...heh heh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back