Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indesign hangs: Cannot open, place, or export 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cping

Programmer
Feb 27, 2006
US
When I select the open, place, or export from the File menu, InDesign appears to hang. The dialog box to select the file does not appear and the application hangs. My other applications seem to work and I can change focus back to InDesign. It just looks like the dialog box is off screen/hidden somewhere. Any ideas on what is going on here?

I am able to open an InDesign document from windows file explorer and place a file from Adobe Bridge.

I am running a dual display setup on windows 2000.

See what happens if yu go to View menu/Display performance and select Optimized or Typical.

Since you're running 2 displays, you might be having some memory problems.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

That didn't seem to help. Strangely enough, I'm now noticing the same problem in Illustrator CS2.

I have 2GB ram but an older video card(ATI Radeon 9550) running on a dual processor Dell Precision 650, so performance shouldn't be an issue.

I found an adobe document that seems to address the generic error of InDesign freezes, but so far none of the solutions seem to work:

Any time I start having any problems with an Adobe app, I trash its preferences. Been doing that for many years. It can't hurt.

Unfortunately, I don't know what they're called or where they are on Windows. I think Illustrator prefs is called "aiprefs". Maybe indesign prefs are something like "inddprefs". You could search your machine for both. Better, Maybe a Windows user will come along here.

Unfortunately, there are any number of things that can cause difficulties. Since you seem to be having problems with 2 Adobe apps, it's logical that it's somethng they share. I don't use CS2 so I don't know about Bridgge.

If worse comes to worst, you could reinstall, but I'd suggest trashing prefs BEFORE you do the reinstall.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

I am having the exact same problem. Adobe inDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop are all effected. I have tried dumping my pref file as well as all the temp files on my computer, even have tried to uninstall and reinstall CS2, but still not luck. I tried calling adobe and they have no clue what is going on either.

I have over a gig of ram so I do not believe that is the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you downloaded any updates to anything else lately? If you use a PC and McAfee antivirus, there were some problems caused by one of their recent updates with some programs. There's always a possibility of having any updates screw up certain apps. One of the OSX updates made me lose Word and Acrobat. Had to reinstall those.

If you reinstall the Adobe apps, try doing 2 things before installing. Trash everything to do with those apps - including their prefs. That would include using the Window uninstall thing. I think you stall have to manually remove the prefs. Disable any antivirus protection. This can cause all sorts of problems with program installs. Illustrator seems to be the most prone to antivirus problems on installs. Then insert the CDs and install. If you're afraid of leaving the machine unprotected while hooked to the web, you can unplug your modem.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

I ended up biting the bullet and reinstalled the OS(actually upgrading to xp) along with all my applications, which seems to have worked.

You mention Bridge, so you must be using CS2. You also mention upgrading to Win XP, which means you were trying to use CS2 on an older OS which is why you had problems. Adobe recommend Win XP for CS2.

I am having the same problems and I am running XP. Could this be a dual monitor problem?

Hi everyone, I had the same problem and was really annoyed, because I couldn't go on working like before. I cant exactly say how I got rid of it, but Im sure one step was uninstalling version cue. For sure it is something not only belonging to InDesign, but to the whole suite. Then I checked wether opening file is working in GoLive, there is no "Adobe Dialog" possible and it worked, then I tried out the other programs, like Illustrator and Photoshop. It seemed to be, like it took a little bit longer, for Dialog coming up, but in the end it wordked, I did some switching between "OS Dialog" and "Adobe Dialog". Now in the end everthing is working alright again.

Sorry for the undetailed description, but thats the way I did it. Uninstalling Version Cue, Opening Golive "Open Dialog", and then the others.

Please post in the thread, whether I could help someone.

Found this to work...
CTRL-O (to open a document)
ALT-Spacebar
in the corner you will get the MOVE/CLOSE menu
Select MOVE
USe your arrow keys to move the pop-up/ "open" window.

Everytime I do this, my open window was somewhere off my left screen and is HUGE. once you see a corner, use the mouse to resize. This should work until you shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back