Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indesign CS2 "forgets" paragraphstyles when copying text 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TYPPIET

Technical User
Mar 21, 2005
NL
Using Indesign CS2 now instead of CS the problem occured.
I am working on a book, using pargraph- and textstyles for the definition of font, fontsize, color etc.
When I copy a piece of text in a paragraphstyle that I defined as black, when pasting the text into the same, or in another textbox, the color changes (in this case to blue, the color of a different style I defined). The paragraphstyle that was attributed to this piece of text seems to get "forgotten" while copying.
Does anybody know what happens here?
Thanks.

Try going to ID Preferences/General and check Preserve Text Attributes when Pasting.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Unfortunately I can not find such a thing as Preferences/General / Preserve Text Attributes when Pasting

I am using ID cs2 (Dutch version) in OSX 10.3.9 on a G 4

I'm on CS1. not 2. onCS1 it's at teh bottom of the General window under Clipboard. Try going to Help/Search and use "Preserve Text Attributes" as the term and see what you get. Or , run through the different prefs to see if you can find it.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

The Preferences/General / Preserve Text Attributes has disappeared in CS2...
I'm still searching...

Hi Typpiet

Any advice on this? I have the same issue, and I am waiting for the answer.

I think the setting jmgalvin refers to has been moved to Preferences>Type>When pasting text from other applications.

This setting makes no difference anyway. The only thing I have found that works is creating a new document in CS2, re-creating the styles from scratch in CS2. Export the text as an .rtf from the problem document and import into the new CS2 document.

Also, you need to check that the resulting document will still perform on all the macs in your business. I had a whole book that I recreated, 1,000+ pages, thinking that the problem was sorted. Files worked OK on 4 macs, still go wrong on another 2, meaning i'll have to do the WHOLE book.

I also recreated a new document on one of the macs that was displaying the problem, copied THAT file to a mac that wasn't, and the copy/paste problem actually happened on that. Both macs running identical OS, IDCS2 v.4.0.2, Suitcase XI 11.0.4, fonts etc.

There must be something other than the preferences that effects the creation of documents. I have tried replacing dictionary files, trashing preferences, EVERYTHING.

I have raised this as a query with Adobe tech support. I'll post here if they offer a solution. Could you do the same, please?

Thanks.
I will post you any solution i find.
Anyway, opening another document from IndesignCS into Indesign CS2 the problem did not occur.

Using InDesign CS2 (Dutch version) in OSX 10.3.9 on a mac G4

Typpiet,

Look at the settings of nthe textframe (object styles). maybe your textframe settings are set different to your paragraph styles.

hope this helps
carlow

TYPPIET

I've got somewhere with this. I found that the machine that created the original CS2 files had corrupt preferences. I exported any printer styles I had, quit InDesign, went to the Users>username>Library>Preferences>Adobe Indesign>Version 4.0 folder and moved these files onto the desktop: FontMaskCache, InDesign ClipboardScrap, InDesign DragDropScrap, InDesign OSXServicesScrap, InDesign SavedData.

I then restarted Indesign, and any new files I created on this mac behaved as required on all other macs.

Now the bad thing is this. there is no way I have found to 'extracate' the corrupt preferences from the files already created. I am going to have to export all text iin my book as .rtf, take the .rtfs in to Word, save as rtf (so they are just Word-rtf and have no connection to the previous CS2 document). Then I'll have to create a brand new template in CS2, creating ALL stylesheets from scratch. Do not import any styles or text from your orginal files. Import the rtfs into the new template. This SHOULD work ok.

You can try one other thing. In user/library/prefs delete "com.adobe.InDesign.plist" The try opening the file and see if things work better.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Unfortunately i stll have found no solution for this, BUT i have discovered that it only appears in certain documents. In new documents i have made, the problem does not occur.
Thanks all contributors.

Using InDesign CS2 (Dutch version) in OSX 10.3.9 on a mac G4

TYPPIET

I thought the same as you, and that the new files were fine, but I found when I took those onto another mac, the copy/paste issue was there again. Have you tried taking the preferences from the Users>username>Library>Preferences>Adobe Indesign>Version 4.0 folder and moving them to your desktop, then opening one of the file you think is O.K. and testing that?

I created a new Paragraph Style Sheet and applied it to a paragraph. When I selected an old Paragraph Style & selected Delete (the old) Style & replace with the New Style the paragrapgh, styled with the new style, reverts to Basic Paragraph Style. How can I delete a style without having this happpen?

Another idea for the pot...

if this problem seems to apply to some, but not all, documents then might be worth resetting the Indesign preferences.

This is done by holding down Shift+Option+Command+Control whilst the Indesign application is launching.

Good luck

I just had this problem yesterday. I fixed it by making sure the paragraph styles were based off "No Style" and not "Basic Paragraph." I suspect this is a workaround, not a true fix, but it got the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back