Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InDesign Activation Issue on Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

vizico

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
GB
Hi,

I've been trying out InDesign for a few days now and like it, fortunately. (well actually I was forced into buying it as one of my clients requested all work from now on be submitted in InDesign) So I decided to purchase it along with Photoshop and Illustrator in the Design Standard Package.

I took delivery of the package this morning via post and the serial number.

However the serial number is not valid once I enter it into InDesign.

Do I need to install the copy of InDesign on the cd which arrived this morning?

I take it I do and the serial number won't work with a 'stand alone' trial product downloaded from the web?

Anyone else had similar issues?

If, as I suspect is the case and I have to use the InDesign version on the cd how do I get rid of the trial version on my HD? Is it just a case of going to Applications>Utilites selecting InDesign and removing the software via the menu?

Thanks for any help. Adobe have provided none and have taken over a £1000.00 of my money...hey nothing new they were always bad at customer care.

Cheers

os

Just put in the disk and run the install. See what happens.

OK I guess running the install from the disk is an option.

I just find it amazing that Adobe can't simplify their activation methods.

You'd think a serial number is a serial number and would work for InDesign regardless whether its a 'standalone' downloaded version or part of a package.

Well I'm sure they do have their reasons but those reasons perhaps do not take their customers into consideration.

Anyway I had some help from someone providing me with a technical help desk number. As I suspected the 'stand alone' product is not compatible with the 'packaged' product in terms of serial numbers.

Come on Adobe it should be simple enough for you to make this easier for your customers, not make it hard work OR at least flag it up somewhere prominent on your download page.

I now have to uninstall InDesign and Photoshop trial versions and do a new install of the software on the disk, instead of just tapping in a few numbers to activate the software which is already installed. <sigh>

The installer "ties" the copy of ID to certain components in your computer (like hard drive etc) for activation. The trial version does not.

Be aware that you're license allows you to install on 2 machines, for one user, so you can also put it on your notebook or home machine or backup machine. If you replace one of your 2 machines, you "deactivate" on the opld machine an then activate on the new.

Activation is a PITA but is used because so many people buy one copy and then use it for a whole company.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4 & G5

Yeah, thanks for the information 'jmgalvin'

I don't mind the activation procedure, its got to be in place, although as you say it is sometimes a PITA.

I just found it annoying that a serial number for InDesign actually didn't work with InDesign.

Surely they can overcome this serial number issue REGARDLESS whether you elect to buy the 'single' product or later decide to get a 'suite' of products.

If they were to isolate the products within the suite I can't see their would be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back