Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

incrementing pk dts problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelleHEC

Programmer
Oct 20, 2003
US
I am creating a DTS that takes data from one table(tblA) and inserts it into another(tblB) but tblB has an incrementing PK and I am getting an error "cannot insert a null value" or something of that sort.
Any ideas? Thanks
Michelle

Can you show the SQL statement

“I sense many useless updates in you... Useless updates lead to fragmentation... Fragmentation leads to downtime...Downtime leads to suffering..Fragmentation is the path to the darkside.. DBCC INDEXDEFRAG and DBCC DBREINDEX are the force...May the force be with you" --

I am using the wizard to create the DTS. do I need to delete the row that is the identity column in column mappings and transformations?

yes, you do

“I sense many useless updates in you... Useless updates lead to fragmentation... Fragmentation leads to downtime...Downtime leads to suffering..Fragmentation is the path to the darkside.. DBCC INDEXDEFRAG and DBCC DBREINDEX are the force...May the force be with you" --

wait, I am still not sure that makes sense. I may not be explaining myself correctly. I would want to append rows I just want to igore the identity column but that is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back