Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incremental job failure insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlarson

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2003
US
I am working with a W2K server and backup exec 8.6. When I perform a full backup job set to overwrite, everything is great. When I try to run an incremental job the job fails. It gives me an I/O error:

Storage device "xxxx" reported an error on a request to space backward by file marks.

Error reported:
The I/O bus was reset.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I have cleaned the drive several times, reformatted the tapes, tried new tape, changed the SCSI ID to 2 from six (no other devices on chain), disabled removable storage service, uninstalled and reinstalled backup exec, performed a couple of registry edits, read just about every article in the veritas kb and made sure that overwrite and append protection were disabled.

I'm not convinced this is a hardware issue because a full backup (set to overwrite) works every time.

I welcome any ideas!! Thanks in advance

I'm also getting a similar error using BE for NT ver 5.01.06. "Tape device reported error on a request to space backward by blocks". This on a W2K workstation with Seagate STT220000 travan drive. Also appears to have something to do with incremental backup. Please let me know if you get any answers. Thanks!

All

I get a similar error even when performing full backups. Anyone got any solutions?

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back