Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incremental/differential

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmauri

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2002
ES
Hi list,

((Arcserve v9.0 build 2200, W2k server SP4)).

We use a Hp ultrium tape 8.
The lto cartridges are 200gb capacity.
Each day we make a full backup, but I would like to reduce the gb for daily jobs because I get errors about the capacity. So, I'm thinking about to change the way I have the backup. Should I make a differential or Incremental daily jobs? then in the weekend make a full backup?
Is this a correct way to do the backup?
What is the main difference between differential and incremental?

Thanks

Differential

Backs up all differences between one full backup and another - does not reset archive bit

When doing a full restore you would need the full backup tape and the latest differential

Incremental

Backs up all differences between previous backup and this one - resets archive bit

When doing a full restore you would need the full backup tape plus every incremental tape since that backup

Incremental
Pros - Tend to be quicker backups since only doing one days worth of changes (usually)
Cons - All incremental tapes need to be applied during a restore so you'll be changing tapes a lot

Differential
Pros - Quicker to restore since usually no tape swapping (depending on capacity)
Cons - Slower than incremental since it will be backing up more data in the main

Personally I always try and go with differential if I'm sure that all the changes between one backup and the next will fit on one tape

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back