Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incremental Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celeste025

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
I have a table that contains account numbers (ACCT), dates (TSD) that the person holding the account visited and then the amount of money spent (ATT).

I want to bring back the most recent 5 visits for each patron but when I do count of account or trip date, it just assigns each 1. I need it to find the most recent trip and assign it a 1 and then increment the next trips +1 so then I can say where count <= 5.

I have tried:

SELECT
ACCT,
AVG( ATT ) AS "AVGATT"
FROM
DTWDTA.DWFLTH1 a
WHERE
5 >(
SELECT
COUNT( TSD )
FROM
DTWDTA.DWFLTH1 b
WHERE
b.ACCT = b.ACCT
AND DATE( a.TSD, HYF ) < DATE( b.TSD, HYF )
)
GROUP BY
THACCT

And it works... kind of... its so intensive that it brings down my entire system - which makes me very unpopular.

What Im trying to do is run the ACCT, TSD, ATT & COUNT to a library file and then pull from that file COUNT <=5. I just dont know how to do the incremental count.

Thanks!

How about something like this?

Code:
select    acct, 
          dates, 
          att
from      DTWDTA.DWFLTH1 a
where     dates in (select    top 5 
                              b.dates 
                    from      DTWDTA.DWFLTH1 b
                    where     a.acct = b.acct
                    order by  b.acct, 
                              b.dates desc)

PS: Code not Tested

Best Regards,
AA

I think this solution will give me the same problem as before.. I am allotted 30,000 seconds (8 hours) processing time on the server and when I start joining a table to itself, it comes back telling me it will take in the neighborhood of 22 years...

Im hoping for a solution that will do something other than link the table to itself for processing reasons.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back