Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incremental Backups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2003
IE
Platform HP-UX 11i
Netbackup DataCentre 4.5

I have set up a schedule for a full backup and incremental backup. Both backups run fine, but they both backup the same amount of data. Incremental backups should only backup whatever data has changed since the last full backup.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Paul

Please post how your schedules are setup? (Please post all detail)

Also note that an incremental backs up data that has changed since the last incremental. A Differential Incremental is actually and incremental backup, a cumulative incremental is actually a differential and will backup all files that have changed since the last full backup.

You also have to make sure that the check box for backups based on archive bit is set.

You only select the archive bit timeout if it is a windows client and you are using differential incrementals. Do not use the archive bit if you are using cumulative incrementals.

Disregard me earlier post. The reason I used the entry in the bp.conf was for the Tripwire not for NetBackup. The Tripwire software would erroneously report that a file had been accessed when the NetBackup read it for a backup. My bad.

I also have problems with incremental backups. (Windows 2000 Server all around) (Differential, incremental, cummulatives, I tested all of them and the problem is the same.)

As I can see on the VERITS site and on Tek-Tips, the problem as more to do with the schedule than the archive bit or timestamps.

When doing a "NOT" full backup, NBU looks at when the last full occured and uses the backup frequency to determine if the backup should take only modifierd files or all files.

I tried using a complete calendar schedule,
Monday : Full
Thuesday : Full
Wed, thur, fri : incremental (I tested all type)

And NBU does a full backup every day.

Next week, I will try a schedule based exclusively on frequency

Hi there,

I am shure now that there is a problem with VERITAS 5.1 MP2 on Windows regarding the incremental backups.

If you use the calendar method (partially or all the way) for your schedule the incrementals will take all the files.

For the incremental (differentials or cummulatives) backup to work properly, you have to use the frequency based schedule.

I hope they will corret that problem in MP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back