Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

incremental backups in veritas 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkseed1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2006
Hello everyone, I'm new here. a friend recommened this site to me. My question is this.... in veritas say a user deletesa a file that needs deleting since the last full backup. now say there has been a few incrementa back-ups since then. now we have to do a restore. when you do the restore from the full back-up, the deleted files will come back. now those file were nopt there on the incremental back-up.. will the incremantal restoration remove those files that where not there at the time of the back-up are will it just leave the files there from the restoration of the full back-up

AFAIK, an incremental restore will not delete files.

No, definitely the incremental restore will not remove the files that 'need' to be deleted. That is the downside to not doing full backups every night.

Hello, let me explain something:
a full backup will backup everything. an incremental backup will only backup things that have changed since the last full backup.
Example: if someone works on a document..then that nite, if the incremental backup runs, it will pick up that document because it has changed from the last backup.
A differential backup will pick up anychanges of any documents from the time the last full backup was done.
example: full backup done one monday.. diff backup done on tues. will pick up changes from tuesday. wednesday diff backup will pickup changes from tues, and wednesday..and so on.
Under gereral tab on restore job, is some settings that you can set.. restore over existing files, skip if file exists, or (the one you want to pick to do a restore) is Skip if existing file is more recent.

When I do the backups, I do the full then differental backups. if you have to do a restore from that.. then you do the full backup restore, then the last differental backup restore. and you should get it all.
if you have jobs set for full and incrementals. then you have to restore from the last full, then each of the incremental jobs. .

but the incremental jobs do not delete the other files that are out in the directory..
blonde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back