Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incredibly Slow boot up when off-line

Status
Not open for further replies.

balin

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
AU
We had to re-boot the server. The ADSL connection we have was down for most of the day. The Server took 20 mins to get past "preparing network connections" while it is thinking users cannot connect to the server. Either browsing for files or using TS connections.

We had noticed this issue before...this time I want to try to solve it.

When the internet connection is re-established boot up takes about 5mins. Even that seems too long.

Small office - 7 PCs on the network mostly Win2000 or XP. All with Fixed IPs.
SBS 2003 R3
ADSL MODEM

JON

Post an ipconfig /all to start with.

Presumably you don't have the issues booting into safe mode with networking?

Could be an issue with exchange databases, might be disabling the exchange services, reboot and see if you have the issues - if all is ok, have a look at the isinteg and or the eseutil tools as appropriate

If exchange is ok, clean boot and add services back in until you hit the problem.

My 2c

I'll investigate yr suggestions. To my knowledge Exchange was not installed. If you can see any clues below i'd appreciate it. I'm not trained in server management but I have done quite a bit with this OS.

The Internet connection and POP mail is handled by our ISP. Not sure that the DNS IP listed should be there.

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : balin.com.au
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : balin.com.au
com.au
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-92-32-C5-5B
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1

It sounds like a DNS issue. Your server should be pointing to itself for DNS with forwarders to external DNS servers. Your clients should all point to the server (I'm assuming that you only have the SBS 2003 server) for their DNS.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.

Yeah, definately sounds like a DNS issue but the above looks ok except i'd change the 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.16.2

Your ISP forwarders should be enetered in the DNS snap in. You could try running the internet connection wizard again and that would sort it out for you.

Thanks everyone...been really too busy to take the server down but it looks like I need to get my head around the DNS issue. Running the wizard seems like the easy solution.

If anyone is interest I'll post results some time in the new year.

Have a great Xmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back