Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increasing working screen area over 80 x 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

picovega

Programmer
Jun 20, 2009
MX
Can anyone tell me how I can tell to the windows(dos) system to amplify the working area over 80 x 25 in a dos window. I´m working with Windows XP, and the program works well, but I just want to increase the working area in the screnn in my clipper code to work with 132 cols and 50 rows.

Is there a way to do this?

I allready tried modifing the properties of the window, but in the moment i run the program, the window returns to the 80x25 format.

thanks in advance

Not without using an add-on library that directly addresses the video subsystem.

However never tried any of them within the Windows area, so they might, or might not, work.

Try the oasis.net as I'm certain many of them are now public domain over there.

If you use a DOS prompt in a floatinhg window (not full-screen) you should be able to expand to larger screensizes using the mode dos-command as in
Code:
MODE CON COLS=c LINES=e

Switching to (x)Harbour would give you the possibility to switch from code in your application, when using most of the standard GT drivers.

HTH
TonHu

What I did was to set up a batch file that calls my source code editor (M). Then on the desktop I made a shortcut to the batch file. In the properties of the shortcut, advanced, set your screen to the size you want and also choose a font that will correspond to the screen size. You can also set the amount of memory that you want to allow for the DOS session in case you also compile and link from the same batch file--as I do.

It may take a try or two to get the setting right, but it will work.

Regards,
David.

I'm sorry, I didn't notice you are running XP. You will have to do the compatibility thing for that.

Refer to TonHu's post.

Sorry,
David

Thanks, Tonhu, it works in the dos windows, but when i start my clipper exe program, the dos window returns to 80 cols format.

Is It posible in Xharbour to do that?

In Visual xHarbor have you the same set of instructions of clipper?

Is It a hard work to migrate from clipper to Visual Xharbor?

thanks

Might be you need to add some lib, just as rogerte said, and call a function to redefine the screen-size known by the Clipper GT. xHarbour GT's have a standard entrypoint for that.
Can also be that either CA-Tools or NanFor lib's offers the feature, I can't recall that now. I've used it for some time, but it was part of my private framework, so after implementation I forgot most of it... (source == docs ;-) )

HTH
TonHu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back