Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

increasing upload/download rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzieb

ISP
Mar 14, 2003
US
I need to find out if there is anything that can be done to increase the transfer rate. My customer can connect at 49000 but max transfer rate is 4.3kbps. He is running windows 98se on Intel Pentium II 350 MHz and has a SupraMAX 56i Voice PCI modem. Can you help with this.
Suzie

there are 8 bits in a byte so 49000 might get you 6.1kBPS at best with no overhead

Inside the building, the customer can make sure the modem is on a dedicated line with good wire, no extensions or faxes or answering machines. You can try different ISPs as they may be at different distances and their modems may not play well with yours.

Upgrading the modems firmware and drivers may help

v.92 is a slightly better modem standard, and external modems are traditionally less parasitic on CPU cycles. cable and DSL are faster than dial up, wireless and satelite MAYbe as well

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

V.92 is pointless, unless your ISP supports it. Most don't.
The SupraMax is a winmodem, and on a PII, that's really pushing it.
Actually 49000 is a really decent connect speed, although it's throughput that really matters.
I wouldn't change anything, because it's likely to be slower, not faster.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

i agree totally with Comtech. you're connection is fine. a 4.3 transfer rate is common. remember when you see "connected @ xxxkbps" that don't mean it stays at that speed.

you can, however, up the fifo buffers but i don't think you'll see anything change but a worse connection. in modem properties go to the connection tab and click "port settings" and move the buffer bars up a notch. or you may want to play with them a little to see which gives for the most stable transfer.

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Agree totally with the above but need to add something... regardless of your speed your download speed also has a lot to do with the site you are downloading from... a true ftp site with light traffic will give you a better download speed ..the more traffic they have the slower you will download...
A friend of mine had a download software one time.(cant remember the name of it right now) That would give him something like 4 simaltanious connections to a site which seem to give him alittle better quicker download time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back