Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increasing the efficiency of a Totals query

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickyC

Technical User
Sep 25, 2010
CA
I have code that works well, but I feel it is inefficient. The following table captures the essence of my question:

Code:
tbl_Data_Output_150218

[b]ID (Auto)   P     X     Y     Z[/b]
   1        [b]1[/b]     32   187   945
   2        [b]1[/b]    116    33     4
   3        [b]1[/b]     78   877   129
  32        [b]1[/b]    662    14    81

33        [b]7[/b]     21   778   903
  34        [b]7[/b]    144   209    63
  35        [b]7[/b]     12     9   982
  64        [b]7[/b]    667    62   812

65       [b]10[/b]    887    27   893
etc...

Each value of P occurs in exactly 32 records.

I use SQL to apply a test to each record, and I want to find the values of P that 'pass' this test in all 32 cases.

So, I apply the test (not shown here and not relevant to my question), then use code ..

Code:
GROUP BY P
HAVING COUNT(*) = 32

Everything works perfectly, but I suspect the code is grossly inefficient. Here is why: The test that is applied to each record is a very stringent one - the vast majority of records fail the test. Less that 1 in a million values of P will pass the test all 32 times! So, lets say P=1 fails the test in its 1st record, then I'd like to reject P=1 from any further consideration instead of testing it 31 more times.

I'm just wondering if there is a more efficient algorithm to handle problems like this. Because my data tables are so large, an improvement in efficiency would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance for any hints.
Vicky C.

Create an index on the table that includes column P and anything else involved in calculating the answer, so Access isn't doing a table scan against a big table.

If this table is linked from a client server system such as SQL Server or Oracle into Access then apply the index there and refresh the table links.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back