Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increasing System Partiton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 1999
CA
Hi,
I need to increase the size of the system partition on our NT server. The partion is mirrored. I was thinking about using Partition Magic, anyone know a way of doing this other than partion magic? Also, do i have to break the mirror inorder to increase the partition?
Thanks

Partition Magic will not work on a server (as far as I know). You have to use a product called Server Magic (now called Volume Manager )

Anyway this will do the trick. I've used it in the past (when it was called Server Magic) and had no problems.

I would break the OS mirror first. After you grow the system partition, I would then re-establish the mirror. Also, have a good OS backup before you start.

-hope this helps Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Joe is right. You need Server Magic, they still sell it. Its made by the same company as Partition Magic.

Terry

Thanks guys,
I will have to try Volume Manager (Server Magic). I figured i would have to break the mirror, just wasn't sure how the software handled it when resizing the partition.
Thanks

Computer guy....the ServerMagic intructions are very easy to follow. The procedure is pretty safe...Its just like using Partition Magic.

-later Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

HI.

One good way to do it -
Verify you have a good backup before any changes.
Break Mirror - disconnect one disk with a copy of the system.
Connect an IDE drive as the first disk.
Install NT4 server on an IDE drive, install tape and SCSI drivers, apply SP6a.
Make a full Backup, using NTBACKUP - no need fot 3rd party backup software here, however if you wish you can use one.
Delete the partitions from your SCSI drive.
Create and format the new NTFS system partition - don't go beyond 8GB for the system partition (NT4 might have a problem booting to partitions larger then 8gb).
Restore from backup
Restore your backup to new partition(s).
Disconnect IDE drive and start the server - it should work now.
When everything is OK and Event Viewer is clean - place back the other mirror - delete partitions and establish mirror again.

This seems like much more trouble and time, but it is not such a big difference then other methods, and this is a good chance to test your backup tape.

Using software like server-magic is also a good solution - I have nothing against it...

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back