Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increasing Margins on PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarpal

Technical User
Feb 24, 2015
GB
thread223-1256844

Picked up on a post from 2006 (thread223-1256844) regarding how to increase margins in PDF documents.
I recently upgraded to "Acrobat XI Pro" and still couldn't figure out how to keep the text further away from the edge of a page. Actually, how to create a margin.
In 2006 no one neither seemed to have a great solution at hand.

Well, I am a long term user of "FinePrint" and its mate "PDF Factory Pro" and with that team onboard it was rather easy to create a PDF with a nice margin.

It has to be said that when increasing the Binding margin in "FinePrint" the whole page scaled a little bit down. Not to an extend that it was an issue.
As my PDF (a conversion from an EPUB eBook) was a book, I Extracted in "Acrobat XI Pro" the original cover of the book from the PDF-with-the-tiny-margins.
Next I 'printed' the file to "FinePrint". There I adjusted the Binding margin and "printed" further on to "PDF Factory Pro".
In "PDF Factory Pro" I saved the file as a PDF. That file I opened next in "Acrobat XI Pro" where I replaced the now somewhat squeezed cover of the book with the one I had saved from the original PDF. All sorted.

"FinePrint" is culturally-aware: it can work with both documents that flip from right-to-left as well as those that flip from left-to-right.
In my case the outcome worked for me in one go. "FinePrint" can adjust the Binding margin and that means either on the left or on the right side of the page.
I guess if you would need to resize significantly both the left and the right margins you may have to repeat the production process a second time.
After 1 'pass' I didn't notice any decrease of the quality; the text stayed sharp etc.

Hope this information is useful to someone. Like to the programmers of Acrobat....

Have a great day.
Tarpal

The solutions to manipulate the print setup in the old 2006 discussion thread were fine and still work today. For Windows users, margins can be increased for free with Adobe's Reader and the CutePDF print driver.

[ol 1]
[li]Open the PDF in Adobe Reader (or any other free PDF viewer)[/li]
[li]File menu->Print[/li]
[li]Choose CutePDF Writer as the virtual printer (or any other free PDF printer)[/li]
[li]Choose Properties->Advanced and then scale the graphic to 90% or your preference to create margins.[/li]
[li]Back in the Adobe Reader print settings and under the "Page Sizing & Handling" section, choose "Shrink oversized pages"[/li]
[li]Print to a new PDF file.[/li]
[/ol]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back