Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increasing Connection speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netwrkengeer

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2001
US
Me and 3 of my friends have windows 2000 machines, and cable modems, We are currently playing a game called Age of Mythology, we are playing it over a direct TCP-IP Connection with one of us as a host. We all have a 1 gig processors or higher, 512mg ram or higher and 3d video cards or higher, but the game gets slow and choppy.

What can I change to optimize my connection speed.
Also what TCP IP Settings can I change (i.e MTU, RWIN, TTL, Keep alives, RFC 1323, etc.) and what are the best settings to have for these.
Also if you now any other ways to optimize the game that would be great too.

Thanks.

Aye, especially with 3 cable modems going into 1 cable modem connection, thats quartered their speed. You would think that for a basic game that would be enough but it all depends on the type of game, information it transmits - its design etc.

One cable modem in one house with 3 PCs behind it?
Three cable modems in three houses with one PC in each house?

Some other configuration I am not thinking of?

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

4 cable modems, 4 PC's, 3 clients connecting in to 1 Host.

Are there any UDP tweaks, can you compress the UDP header, or focus throughput on a specified port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back