Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increase window size for higher resolution monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BongoB1

Programmer
Jul 26, 2001
US
I support a number of FPW 2.6 programs which were designed when monitors were all at 800 X 600. Now, my clients are getting higher resolution monitors which make my application’s screens look smaller and smaller. I’ve been asked about making them bigger, but the time involved in manually increasing the size of each and repositioning each label, control, etc. across a larger window has always seemed to be too time consuming.

Recently I’ve testing increasing the font size in a screen by opening it (the .SCX file) as a table, running the command, “REPLACE fontsize WITH fontsize+4 FOR NOT EMPTY(fontsize)”, then reopening the screen with the MODIFY SCREEN command. Everything has been increased in size and is located approximately where is should be on the screen. I have to do some minor clean up with position, etc., but the screen is basically ready to go in a matter of minutes.

Has anyone had any experience with increasing the window sizes of FPW 2.6 systems for higher resolution monitors without a complete rewrite to VFP?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

One of the downfalls of FPW's screen generator is that it hard-codes window coordinates. If what you've got is working for you, stick with it.

There was much written over the years on this topic. I think Jim Booth's FoxTalk article ran with a subtitle "You may regret trying it".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back