Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increase size limit on email items to "safe" level

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizdunn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2000
US
We are running Exchange 2003 Enterprise. The default size set for email items in mailboxes and public folders is 10mb. However, we are finding that this is not large enough as some attachments are over 10mb. What is a "safe" limit to set for email items?

I've had to move the max size for attachments to 20MB per, and the default user has 100mb for email total. I emphasise the use of personal folders for old emails and zipping files that need to be emailed. If its over 20mb we put it on our FTP site for retreival. I also block all files except Office files, especially .exe, .bat, .vbs, etc, to prevent virus's from getting in through the mail.

just to pipe in,
I have no limits on mailbox size or message attachment size. My Exchange server is on an internal private network. In the DMZ I have a linux bastion host. Most of the very large files are internally origin and destined.

I have found 50MB as a nice glass ceiling. Many clients can't get files to us because their mail servers won't send the messages.

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

I have a 300MB limit on my bridgehead and I'm getting periodic annoyance from users as it is not high enough. There's no user limit as they get annoyed when I tell them off about their 4GB mailboxes.

PST files are not good. Zip gets forgotten. FTP is too much hassle for them apparently.

So I just put bigger arrays on as the big mailboxes tend to be the senior people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back