Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

increase margins but keep 60 rows x 80 cols

Status
Not open for further replies.

msc0tt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
CA
My platform is unix to an HP LJ4 (no Windoze, no drivers, clean...).

By default, a text report sent to the LJ gives me 80 cols by 66 rows (courier 12cpi). The problem is my L/R margins are too small. I desire 1/2" of whitespace around the printed area, but I don't want to lose columns to do it. I think I can reduce the spacing between characters, but this would crowd them (slightly). To further complicate my needs, I want to start using landscape and tighter pitches 12cpi, 17cpi. I will always be using a fixed-spaced (mono-spaced?) font, such as Courier.

Let me generalize my problem. I want to tell my printer his print area (i.e. 1/2" borders), and tell him the number of lines and columns I want within this area - and let him figure out the correct font pitch and spacing. Can PCL do this??

If I know the following values:
Tmargin = 1/2"
Bmargin = 1/2"
Lmargin = 1/2"
Rmargin = 1/2"
Orientation = Portrait
Lines = 66
Columns = 80
How I programically convert this into PCL sequences?

-with thanks

Try this...

<esc>E<esc>&l2a0o7.2727c180u3e66F
<esc>(s0p10.75h0s0b4099T<esc>&k11.2500H

These commands should not be separated by a linefeed which was forced using the editor. Jim Asman
jlasman@telus.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back