Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increase Drive Size on RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

popotech

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2001
US
we are currently using a dell poweredge 2650 at our building,i think we are running RAID 5 on two hdd's (don't know if there is a way to tell). our problem is that we have two drives c and d, the two drives are both 36gb, our problem is that our c drive is running our of room and i didn't know if i would be able to insert another 36gb drive (three slots open) on the machine to add another 36 gb and add that to the c partition? is this possible. thanks in advance.

Why not ask this in the hardware forum and not the browser forum?

The answer is "42"

If you only have two drives and you're on a RAID(0), you are in a Image mode. You are NOT stripping data across the hard disks and therefore are not going to be able to use more than the 36GB

You should back up the server and set up a RAID5 with at least 3 drives and do not set a spare.

and you C: and D: drives are logical, not physical in this case.

If you are running SQL or any other applications that create log files, configure them to store themselves on D:

Plus you can have them over right themselves to save storage space. You can rettreive over written logs from tape if you need to grab old data....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back