Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increase Drive Capacity by replacing drives in caddies

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMama2

Programmer
Jun 21, 2006
US
I am a new subscriber and thought I would start a new thread.

I am trying to replace my 9.1G drives in my RA4000 with 36G drives. I am doing this by taking the 9.1 drive(s) out of the caddies and inserting the 36 drives into them. Then I insert the drive into the RA4000. This should work, I think. The problem I am encountering is that the drives won't keep spinning. I have 4 36G drives that I took from another rack and have refurbished and put in the caddies of the 9.1s. I inserted them into the array and it seemed to work, all lights were green. but after about 5 minutes all the drives fail, all lights turn to yellow. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be happening? The array configuration utility just says that there is an error.

Thanks,

TechMama2

Although I've never done this with an RA4000, I do this all time with other Compaq/HP machines and have never had an issue. You may want to insert the drive into a different machine and verify the firmware is up to date.

Also verify the RA4000 firmware is up to date. Can you look at any logs to see what the exact error being reported is?

-Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back