Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incorrect Size of Mailbox Displayed In Cached Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrphibes

Technical User
Sep 16, 2005
US
Hello Forum, I hope im in the right place for this question..
I have been seeing an unusual trend with many of our email clients.
We are using Outlook 2007 SP2 on Vista(dont ask)on an exchange 2007 mail system.
Here's the problem: When a user is in cached mode, they will sometimes receive a message that they have exceeded the size limit of their mailbox.(They have a maximum size policy here).So the client goes in and cleans out all the junk they can find,archives what they can, and yet continue to receive these warning messages.
They will call scratching their heads wondering where all the mailbox space is being used up.
Now when i check their mailbox size in outlook, the "Local" tab will show a size that is well within the allowed size, but when i check the "Server" tab the mailbox size is often way larger, even up to double the size represented by the "Local" tab.
Also of note, when i look at the server tab, or run the Outlook client in NON Cached mode, i often find dozens if not hundreds of messages sitting in the outbox on the server.
Offline mode shows nothing in the outbox, but the server shows a truck load of mail.
Some of these messages are pretty old, several months sometimes, so its hard to say if they were sent to the recipient and a copy is sitting in the outbox for some reason, or they never were sent.(I dont think this is the case,as some of these emails are very important and im certain the sender would have been notified that the message was not received.
But to be on the safe side,and for expedience sake, i will create a personal folder and move these "outbox" items there temporarily so they can at least send mail out.I know it's just a bandaid for now,,and i would really like to get to the bottom of this.
I know this sounds pretty confusing,,i hope i explained it well enough that someone in this forum understands what im describing and can offer an explanation or suggestion.

Thank you as always,
adrphibes

I'd look through the tracking logs and see if you can see those messages going out.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Got a similar issue with OL2007 SP2 on Exchange 2010 but no cache mode.

Still trying to get to the bottom of it.
Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back