Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

incorrect result from Format and DatePart functions combination 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyrag

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
PH
I want to get the month part from a Date field in my query so i established my query like,

SELECT DatePart('m', Trans_Date) AS TransMonth FROM tblTransactions

The result will give me TransMonth=4 for April and so on... Further, instead of returning an integer value, i want to get the month name itselt, say "April", so i used the Format function like,

SELECT Format(DatePart('m', Trans_Date), 'mmmm') AS TransMonth FROM tblTransactions

However, the result always returned with the value TransMonth="January" even though Trans_Date='04/30/03' OR Trans_Date='any_other_date'.

How do i fix this problem? If you could give me a better method for the purpose, pls let me know.

Thanks in advance,

got it fixed now...

SELECT Format(Trans_Date, 'mmmm') AS TransMonth FROM tblTransactions

Still would like to hear from you for a better suggestion..

If you do not need this value in the criteria, why do you want to convert it with-in the sql statement?
Not too scalable...unless this is a stored proceedure.

Format it locally - when you pull in the data. Most bound controls, also the datagrid, have a format property for this purpose, if you are using bound controls.

If this is a stored proceedure (doesn't look like it seeing the DatePart punctuation), then ignore my remarks.

thanks CCLINT... It's not a stored procedure and the SQL statement is used in the Command object in DED for generating a report for the transactions within the specified month. It is also needed in the criteria say,

WHERE Format(Trans_Date, 'mmmm')=? AND Format(Trans_Date, 'yyyy')=?

to pull out only those records with the specified month and year, where by default, year=current_year in the textbox within my form calling the report.

I'm still open for a better method...

Anyway, CCLINT how do i pass/recieve variables in my form into the Command object in DED? I mean, passing/recieving variables not part in my SQL statement of the Command object in DED?

AAhh. Therefore I stated:
"If you do not need this value in the criteria..."
Could not see this in the orig. question.

If you want the numeric of month or year, then use those functions - YEAR(DateField) - instead of the Format function as this is much more efficient.
And, better is to format the criteria value, and not the field:

"...WHERE Trans_Date BETWEEN ? AND ?"

Parameter1 Value = DateSerial(SomeYear, 1, 1)
Parameter2 Value = DateSerial(SomeYear, 12, 31)

Command object variables: Use a Parameter object with it. Examples (not for the data environment) on how to use Parameters and Command Object available in one of the FAQs (deals with using single quotes in a SQL Statement)

Hope this helps...

Thank you CCLINT... The functions YEAR and MONTH works great. However, I am currently still stuck with my passing/recieving of parameters problem. I have tried using

PARAMETERS ParamName DataType

This command works great but i wasn't able to use it with a SQL statement that uses the TRANSFORM...PIVOT command. Would i be able to use PARAMETERS command along with TRANSFORM...PIVOT? How? I mean, which should come first?

I tend to use the PARAMETERS command coz i can't get a working query using the command in DED say,

TRANSFORM SUM(Debit)
SELECT Branch_Code, Last_Name+ ', ' + First_Name AS EmpName, Reason FROM tblTransDetails WHERE Branch_Code=? GROUP BY...

The point i'm trying to show is that, i dont seem to get a working query using a parameter (WHERE Branch_Code=?) so i experimented using the PARAMETERS like,

PARAMETERS pBranchCode TEXT; TRANSFORM SUM(Debit)...and so on...

but dont seem to get right with it either...

Hope you could help me with this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back