Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

incorrect out of memory message

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahJD

Technical User
Mar 8, 2004
GB
Hi Everyone
I use visio to provide a graphical representation for my users. The boxes I have created are linked to a filemaker 8 database that stores the information. The links used to work fine when on filemaker 6

The problem I have is that I keep getting an out of momory error when the user goes to select or update a record. I've checked the memory usage using task manager and the % only goes up to about 10% then the error message appears.

I have an up to date ODBC 32 bit driver installed and know the database is being accessed as it asks me for the password and provides a correct list of records to select.

Does anyone know why this error message might be coming up. I have read on microsoft site that sometime the out of memory error occurs when the original error message has been 'lost' but have no idea how to find out what the correct error message should be

Any ideas would be appreciated

sarah

It has nothing to do with being "out of memory" - that stupid message is still around?!!! At any rate, it's been so long I can't remember what the exact problem is. It could be the ODBC entry (for the driver) is corrupted in the registry or the DSN entry is corrupted. Check them both in the ODBC branch (under local machine\software).

Do you have the correct ODBC driver for filemaker 8?

"I think we're all Bozos on this bus!" - Firesign Theatre [jester]

Hi Artichoke

yes its the correct odbc driver. datadirect 32 bit 5.4 Its the one provided by filemaker

how will i know if the driver is corrupeted in the registry? or if the dsn is corrupted

sarah

Use regedt32 to view the registry.

In "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers", you should see an entry for your driver, such as:

SQL Server ... Installed

You should also have an entry for your driver in the tree and a number of entries for it, such as:

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\SQL Server
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 9/11/2005 - 9:37 AM
Value 0
Name: UsageCount
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0x3

Value 1
Name: Driver
Type: REG_SZ
Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\sqlsrv32.dll

Value 2
Name: Setup
Data: C:\WINDOWS\system32\sqlsrv32.dll

Value 3
Name: SQLLevel
Data: 1

Value 4
Name: FileUsage
Data: 0

Value 5
Name: DriverODBCVer
Data: 02.50

Value 6
Name: ConnectFunctions
Data: YYY

Value 7
Name: APILevel
Data: 2

Value 8
Name: CPTimeout
Data: 60

Make sure the path names are correct for the driver file and that it exists.

You also need to check that all the information is present for the DSN in the ODBC.INI tree. Sometimes one half of the info is there, so it looks okay, but doesn't work properly.

Did you have to upgrade the driver for the DSN for this version of your database?

Have you tried the filemaker and data direct sites for this error?

Good luck!

I checked the filemaker knowledge base and you need to have MDAC 2.6 or greater. See this link on how to check MDAC version:

It also says you need to uninstall the previous version. If you didn't do that, that might be the problem.

Hi Artichoke

I've checked the MDAC - i'm on 2.8 that came with xp service pack

the registry looks ok i've checked the DSN information and that also looks ok

I had to create a new user dsn when creating the link from filemaker and visio - but we had to do that in the previous version as well the only difference with this one is that the existing drivers wouldnt work hence the datadirect upgrade

I'm going to chase up filemaker and datadirect about this problem and see if they can be of any help

Thanks for your input and please let me know if you remember what the stupid 'out of memory error' is all about!!!

Really appreciate your assistance

sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back