Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inconsistent General Protection Faults when using reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbb60

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2003
CA
I'm using Paradox 10 with Win XP, 2K and 98 desktops and a Win 2K server. I see General Protection Faults when filtering or printing some reports but not consistently. I can do the same task several times and it will work most of the time.

The problem appears to be occurring with the Paradox 10 Runtime version which is mainly on the Win 98 systems.

I have read where Style Sheets may cause problems. The default Style Sheets are in different directories for the full version and the runtime version. I have not explicitly specified style sheets. I'm not sure that the problem is with the Style Sheet since the problem is sporadic.

Any suggestions?

Most of the printing is done using oPal and I'm not trapping for errors. I will add code to trap and see if that helps or provides more information.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if this might be it, but I had a similar problem on XP machines.

This is what I found: Lets say you put a field on your report, this field consists out of two parts, the text object and the actuall field object.

Lets say that the text object should contain no text in it, then you should put in a space " " rather than have it blank.

Don't know why this happend, but when I replaced all the blanks with spaces, it solved my problem.

Hope this helps ;-)

Inconsistent is an understatement!

I have been experiencing this error ever since my office environment began using Version 11 of the WordPerfect Suite. Does this look familiar to anyone????

Unexpected: General Protection Violation

Press "OK", then SAVE your documents and exit Paradox.
If the problem persists, press "Abort" to terminate Paradox.

Options: "OK" button, "Abort" button, "Help" button (no additional help available).

1. Since it was installed, I have had lots of difficulty creating and running the more complicated reports (sometimes forms).

a. I usually DO NOT code with ObjectPal but DO add some fairly complex formulas (iif, etc.) to the fields on my reports.
b. To work around this, when I change a formula in a field I usually cut (Ctl-X) the old formula out of the "Define Field" window, disable the "Calculation" check box, and paste the old text into Word Perfect. From there I update the formula, reopen the "Define Field" window, and paste (Ctl-V) the new formula back in.
c. It's frustrating because prior to version 11 I was able to simply change the formula directly in the "Define Field" window, no matter how many fields or how complex the report was.
d. I've even tried re-creating the reports by starting completely over. However, I usually have a lot of field objects on the report that use the field area but not the text. I have NOT tried using spaces instead of blanks (as described above). However, given the complexity of some of the reports I've created, this is not a viable solution.

2. Also I have noticed that people who use the systems I set up sometimes get the same error, usually when running a presaved report (.rsl) object that has many pages OR when opening the report object first in design mode to add a simple filter.

3. My network administator has tried everything he can think of to correct this, including installing all patches, etc. recommended by Corel's support team.

4. Have also logged the problem directly with Corel but their response thus far has been less than stellar.

5. If anyone has any additional thoughts or ideas on how to minimize this error, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Todd

There are a couple of things with reports that can cause 'issues'.

Path to first table in data model, tablename and sortfieldname can be 63 characters MAX.

Placing 2 objects in a single TF column (although this is usually a different error message content). To get around this one just group the fields together.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back