Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incomplete picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
HP Pavilion dv6 Laptop. Win 7
Bottom 3/4 of screen is normal. Top is distorted like the screen was cracked (it isn't). Back light covers full screen. Plug in monitor, and every thing is normal on exterior monitor.
I'm just whining and trying to figure out how to get into this thing! Any ideas after I get out the can opener?

Bad system board probably. I have heard of the DV6 having video chip issues due to overheating. it's similar to the red ring of death issue that plagued the xbox 360 till the lower power chip came out.

But I would think it would effect the external monitor as well, look for a loose cable on the video circuit. maybe a bad lcd, or bad inverter card.

The inverter/cable was the first thing that hit me. I was just fishing for SOME excuse not to open this thing!

Interesting! I actually submitted this problem over a month ago! I noticed that, for some reason, it and the responses have TODAY'S date(1-02-13), on it.
The laptop has already been shipped last month, (they'll just use an external monitor).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back