Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incomplete MAC Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManagerJay

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2000
US
I have run into a problem, and I am at my wits end trying to figure out what is going on.

Occassionally, clients will lose their connection to the WAN. My network consists of OS X clients, a Cisco 1131AG Access Point, a ProCurve 2626 switch and a Adtran NetVanta 3305 router.

Client<->AP<->Switch<->Router

When a client loses connectivity to the WAN, I see the following on the network.

Connecting to the switch (from another computer) the switch is able to ping the workstation, the AP and the router. And, has complete ARP entries for all of the devices.

The same is true for the AP.

From the router, I am able to ping the switch and the AP, but I cannot ping the workstation. In the router's ARP table, I see the workstation's IP address but the MAC address is listed as "Incomplete".

While this is happening, if I ping the router from the workstation which cannot access the WAN, the router will respond and will correctly build the ARP table. Then, I am able to access the WAN without any problems.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

An 'Incomplete' entry in the ARP table simply means that an attempt was made to communicate with that IP address, but failed, therefore doesn't know what MAC to associate with the IP.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back