Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incompatible CPU 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickCat11

Technical User
Jul 23, 2005
US
I recently built my first custom desktop with an AOpen board and Intel Pentium 4 Chip. When everything was put together the cpu locked up right before it would load the CD Drive so I could install Windows. To make a long story short, the chip was incompatible with the board. The socket matched the board (LGA 775). The exact name of the chip is "Intel Pentium 4 630 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor", with 2 megs of L2 cache on board. I switched out with a different chip and everything worked fine. I thought as long as the socket type was the same the system should work. Is there something I am overlooking? Thanks in advance.

Nick

What is the model of the board you have? What chip did you replace it with?

It should have worked from the sound of it.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

The board is the AOpen i865PEa-7IF Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 865PE ATX Intel Motherboard - I replaced the chip with a intel Pentium 4 530J 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor. Thanks in advance

Nick

You should check the list of BIOS upgrades anytime you build or upgrade, even if the motherboard is brand-new out of the box. If you look at the list at the AOpen's site, you'll see that just in July they fixed a problem with recognizing Intel's P4 6XX CPU's.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

NickCat11
Thats a real shame because the 2meg 600 series are quiet an improvement over the older 500's
Less heat, less power and improved performance if only slight.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back