Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incoming Mails not being received

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostcarrier

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2005
US
I am having an issue with my Exchange 2000 server. I am able to send out to anybody with no problem. I am able to send internally no problem, but I am unable to send from the outside world to my server. I have my MX record setup and pointing to my IP. I am able to verify the port is open using:

I have tried both the SMTP and the Pop3 testers on this site and I am able to recieve email this way. I would assume that this means my port is forwarding correctly. If anybody has any ideas please let me know. I know that this topic has been covered, but all suggestions that I have read do not seem to be helping me out, not able to resolve this issue.

Thanks for any input or suggestions,

The eternal newbie....

The port may be open, but is your server allowing annonymous connections in? Check all of the following:

- In the properties of your SMTP virtual server, ensure you are allowing annonymous connections in. Test this by telnetting to the server from the outside, and running HELO, MAIL FROM:, RCPT TO: <an e-mail address on your server>, DATA, "enter the body of the test message", . , QUIT. You must be able to connect to your server and run these commands, and no one else will be able to either.

If it works, then it sounds like you have DNS problem. Check that in your DNS domain you not only have an MX record for your server, but a corresponding A record for it as well. Use to test for DNS issues. It one of the best testing sites out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back