Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incoming mail relay problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

FullerTom

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2002
US
Summary:
----------
Having difficulty getting incoming mail to relay through a Win2K(SP3) server that is connected to the Internet to a second Win2K(SP3) server that is NOT connected directly to the Internet.

Details:
----------
Our CPA office has 2 servers. Server1 is our Citrix and web server and is connected to the Internet through a router. Server1's Internet connection is shared through a 2nd NIC that feeds into the "Internal" switch for our office. Server 2 is our Exchange box and is also connected into the Internal switch.

In short: Only Server1 has a NIC with an external ip address assigned to it.

Exchange clients on the network (all Outlook 2002) can SEND email from the domain -- and it arrives to the intended recipient (both to an internal Exchange mailbox or to an external email address -- ie johnsmith@anydomain.com).

However, if johnsmith@anydomain.com attempts to REPLY to the message that came out of our Exchange server, he will receive a delivery failure notice for my domain.

Quite frankly, Exchange works great for us, but my technical strengths are elsewhere. I believe this is a relay issue (possibly concerning a virtual smtp mapping on Server1 to redirect mail to the Internal-only Server2 (the Exchange Server).

However, countless hours of toil and tinkering have failed to result in success.

I do have my MX records set correctly with my ISP so that Server1's IP address is linked to mail.mydomain.com.

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated!

Happy New Year!

Sincerely,
Tom Fuller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back