Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incoming Email in Plain Text Format 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2002
A small client of mine is running Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003. Recently, for no apparent reason, all incoming HTML email is coming in as Plain Text only.

I have done no upgrade or maintenance work on the server for a number of weeks now, and no one else has access to the server. So, I don't know how this can spontaneously happen.

Anyone else heard of this problem, and how to solve it?

cheers.gif

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.

Thanks for the reply 58sniper.

They are running Outlook 2002 (XP), and I have yet to find that particular setting in this version of Outlook.

Also, why would that affect everyone in the company at the same time?

I also checked some of their email through OWA, and found that the format change from HTML to Plain Text also appears there. To me, that would indicate that the change has occurred with Exchange, and not Outlook.

I have checked in Exchange System Manager, Global Settings, Internet Message Format, and on the Message Format tab, the Message Encoding is set to MIME, and to accept Both (HTML and Plain Text). This is the only setting I've been able to find in Exchange that would control this behavior.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to where I should look to resolve this issue?

cheers.gif

That is a good point, and one I had not considered. When I checked my timesheet, I noticed that I had upgraded their AVG software to version 8 at around the same time this problem started.

I will need to investigate this further, and I will let you know what I find.

cheers.gif

Thank you 58sniper.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you all. It was the new version of AVG that was causing all incoming email to convert to plain text.

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back