Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incoming E-mail Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandym2907

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2008
US
I'm having an intermittent incoming e-mail problem and was hoping someone could help. We are experiencing incoming e-mail delays of up to 6 hours with a few of our Groupwise 6.5 users with just certain e-mail senders. For instance, the e-mail will be time stamped 3:27 p.m. but we don't receive it into our gwia until 9:38 p.m. We also had have issues with e-mails not being delivered from just certain senders. The sender doesn't receive a bounce back or error, and our gwia logs don't show the e-mail. The only way we know we didn't receive the e-mail is if the sender calls and complains why we haven't responded. Again, no errors in the gwia logs or any signs of these e-mails. Most e-mails are flowing fine, however.

I have to say we changed web hosting companies last Fall and they host our domain and mx records. Could it be something the web hosting company is doing? Does anyone have any thoughts?? Thanks much.

Make sure to turn on VERBOSE logging on the GWIA, otherwise you could miss the messages. Make sure that your Time Zone settings are correct and that you are patched current, this way you can make sure that the time stamps are actually correct. Servers should also be patched with the DST patches and verified to be correct.

Do you have any spam filter or service that could be interfering?

What I do when I troubleshoot mail delivery problems is I watch the mail go out of the sending system and transfer to the recipient system (from the senders logs), at the same time I watch the recipient system for the incoming email from the sender at the same time. You may not have the luxury of watching the sending system, but if it doesn't hit your GWIA for several hours, I find it hard to believe that its something on your server (Unless spam service etc is blocking them).

Mail should go directly from the source SMTP server to your receiving SMTP Server (GWIA), there is no reason for a delay.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

It sounds like greylisting. Greylisting is an antispam technique where your spam filter rejects the first attempt at delivery. Most mail servers will retry in a few minutes, however some don't. Spammers almost never retry, they just go on to the next address.

Do you use a relay server?

and does this new ISP provide you with spam filtering services?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back