Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incoming call problems Partner ACS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

retiredtelco

Technical User
Jul 27, 2008
US
Partner ACS R6.0 Three line hunt group. Comcast Cable dial tone provider. Caller calls main number (Line 1) comes in on line three, last number of hunt group, intermitentaly . I could not get it to fail. Ideas?

A few questions... [smile]

Does the company have any TFNs? If so, are they pointed to the correct telephone line?

Does Comcast show intermittent seizures on the first two lines?

If there is a voicemail, is Comcast releasing the lines properly, or, are they locking up if the calling party disconnects first?

If the processor is replaced, does the problem go away?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

I could not get it to fail. I pumped numerous calls into each of the three incoming lines.

They had Comcast out and off course the tech told the customer it was their phone system.

Give me a hint, what is a TFN?

Comcast, I did not know they were that sophisticated.

No Comcast VM.

Have not replaced processor yet. I did do an electronic reset though (#728).

TFN...Toll Free Number. I was wondering if there is one in play, and it might be pointed to the wrong POTS line. [smile]

If Comcast isn't sending a proper disconnect, and an on board voicemail is in use, lines can get hung if the calling party hangs up prematurely.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

I had a very similar problem recently. Took me a while to chase it down. Turns out a cable with nothing connected had a VERY intermittent short and would quickly grab and release line 1. This was causing some grief since the customer would complain that callers were getting their calls answered and then hear static or get disconnected. They also noticed other lines would ring immediately when line 1 was idle Telco to site numerous times and found nothing wrong with which I tended to agree.

I had my new test set with voltage reading on line 1 monitoring and I noticed the display quickly cycle from -48V to -5V back to -48V. An indication that something quickly went off hook then back on hook. I saw this occur a couple times and only once saw the line indicator on the phone change to briefly on then off. Eureka! I knew something on the system was seizing the line now on to figuring out what.

I set up DSS keys for all extensions, had to wait a while for the trouble to manifest (it was very intermittent as explained). I then observed extension 20 would briefly light up then go off. Tested the cable and, sure enough, there was a high resistance short. Found that the cable was running through a floor trough and the edge of the trough cut up the cable jacket. Repaired the damage and trouble fixed.

All of the above is still valid but you may want to look into, and eliminate, this as cause.

I forgot about possible defective cabling. [purpleface]

If the system isn't too large, check all modular plugs and replace as needed. [smile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back