Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incoming call from Outside line

Status
Not open for further replies.

mug23

MIS
Dec 6, 2007
US
Hello:

I'm new on this 3Com phone system and I'm having an issue. When an outside caller tries to call into my company's phone line, sometime it gets continuous ringing without going to the auto attendant. I have heard from outside callers that if he/she dialed into the company's phone and gets through the first try, then calls back the number again to try and get an different extension, it will not get them the auto attendant. The ringing will just continues.

This only happens once in a while and doesn't do it all the time. I do not know where to start the troubleshooting on this issue.

If anyone have any idea, please let me know.

Thank you...

To me it sounds like you have more telephone lines that you are aware of. It sounds like you have lets say 5 lines from the telco and only 4 plugged into the nbx.

If you have a 66 block that the telco provided you could test the pairs on that block and make sure the unused pairs do not have dialtone on them.

Or

Call your carrier and ask if the lines are in a hunt group and how many lines are in that hunt group.

Hope this helps

-Chris

Thank you, Chris. I will look into this issue.

I will post if I have more questions.

Could also be the number of voicemail ports you have.
A default system comes with 4 ports, that means that 4 poeople can access voicemail, leave a voicemail, or be in an auto attendant at one time...
Example
2 Users are checking voicemail's, 2 callers in an auto attendant, and then a 3rd callers calls the system. The 3rd caller will just keep hearing ringtones until one of the voicemail ports is freed up. Then the auto attendant will pick up...
You can check the voicemail port usage at
http://[NBXIP]/sec_cont/vmail/vmprt.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back