Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Include Virtual IIS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandylou

Programmer
Jan 18, 2002
US
I have googled everything I can think of. I have the following

Under Default Web Site I have an application 'PreScreen' under a virtual directory 'DEV'

Default Web Site
-->DEV --> PreScreen

PreScreen is under H:\iisSites\PreScreen

under PreScreen I have the following folders:

H:\iisSites\PreScreen\includes
H:\iisSites\PreScreen\images
H:\iisSites\PreScreen\admin
H:\iisSites\PreScreen\common

I have a default.asp page which has an include file:

<!--#include Virtual="\PreScreen\include\global.inc" -->

I have all of the configurations set from various posts on classic asp pages. I have also installed ServerSideIncludes

I will continually receive the ASP '0126' error that file is not found. I have changed the virtual to File and it can read to the include file, but then the global.inc contains a bunch more vitrual includes. I tried changing those to File from Virtual and it will not work. I have also toggled back and forth from Enable Parent Paths to true/false.

This is an old app i need to move over to a new iis 7 web server from iis 6. The only thing I have not done is Shared the Folder which is what we had set up on the old web server. Does this matter if the folder is not shared?

One thing I do know is that it will work under my c:\inetpub\ Folder

The only thing that is missing is the Folder Sharing under Default Web Site. This option is not available in window 2008.

I tried adding a virtual Folder mapping at the top level, but that still does not work.

What is the work around for going to a folder, selecting Web Sharing and sharing the folder under the Default Web Site as has been done in the past in Windows 2003?

A: <!--#include Virtual="\PreScreen\include\global.inc" --> will fail because your folder is called \PreScreen\includeS

And you will need to enable "Parent Paths" (possible security flaw) and use the ../ syntax to go ABOVE the site root and traverse the parent folder ABOVE each site root.

You will also have to allow each site user account access to the common parent folder.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

that was a typo on my part for the include(s)..

I have enabled Parent Paths and it wouldn't work. It is because the Default Web Site is under c:\inetpub\
Under older windows when you Share a folder, you select Web Share and it shares it under Default Web Site.

When you create a share in Windows 2007, that option does not exist. I am assuming because I can't specify that my virtual folder which is under the H:\iisSites\PreScreen be shared under the Default Web Site, even though I am creating the virtual under that site.

Does that make sense?

Windows 2007?????

Do you actually mean Windows 7 ?

Parent paths is a per site setting and it does not matter where the default website is mapped to.

If 'prescreen' is the site root folder the paths are simply:

/includes
/images
/admin
/common

Haven't used the "webshare" since Windows NT to be honest it's only ever applied to desktop versions where only on "site" can be setup.

On Windows server versions it doesn't apply because you can map any folder on any drive to a hostheader as a root folder without creating "virtual folders" or "applications".

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back