Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Include hyperlink in data pulled from database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markdmac

MIS
Dec 20, 2003
US
Hope sombody can help me out here. I am using FrontPage 2003. My web site has an announcements section which pulls announcements from an Access Database. If I try to include a hyperlink in the data stored in Access, the web site displays the link as plain text.

I'm using the build in Database Interface Wizard to generate the code to pull from the database and just tweaking the SQL Query to make sure that old announcments expire automatically. Other than that it is plain vanilla.

Anybody know how I can go about fixing this? I tried various things with the data like inserting %>link html <% to exit the script but that did not help.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Just click on the "field" in the Database Results Wizard window and choose "display as hyperlink".

hope that helps
-Casey

Thanks Casey,

I should have posted back that I got this working, though not necessarily the way I wanted. I added an additional filed to the database, set it as hyperlink and did as you describe above.

What I had been hoping for was the ability to use HTML in the middle of my text so I could specify the display text and have the link be in the middle of an announcement.

Thansk for replying.

Regards,

Mark

I also have an access database working in frontpage, and am having problems with hyperlinks. I have tried setting the field to "display as hyperlink", but when I click on the hyperlink on the web, the address for the hyperlink shows the address of my website followed by the url address I actually wanted. I have the same problem with emails. The system shows my webaddress followed by the email address in the email address box in outlook.

Is it possible to set the field to have just the required url addresses or email, without adding my website address first to the hyperlink?

How are you entering the URL in the database? Are you including a complete URL or a relative URL?

or

/thispage.htm

For the email part, make sure the hyperlink is set for Mailto:

Regards,

Mark

I think you need to include the http:// to get it to NOT append your own site info.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the information. I'll try it and get back to you.

With the email, when I go into frontpage database column value there is no option to set the hyperlink to mailto:. Should I be setting this value somewhere else on the database?

Use "mailto:someone@somewhere.com" in the field in the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back