Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Include all records for holder with a transaction on specific date

Status
Not open for further replies.

suecobb

Programmer
Sep 18, 2001
US
I am working on creating a report in CR 8.0 to substitute for an old manual process of updating a ledger book. I am working from a query I constructed. I need to run a report which shows all individuals who have a transaction on a specific date. That is, I want to look for anyone who has a transaction dated today, then show ALL the records for that person, not just the transaction from today. To complicate matters, after the first of the year, each day the report is run I want only to print transactions after 1/1/2002. The tricky thing is that I also have a running total (calculated in a subreport) of the number of shares each individual owns that runs back to the beginning of time, so I do not want to suppress the records prior to 1/1/02 even though I will no longer want them to print.

I tried using today's date in record selection, which of course only shows be today's transactions. I will need to print history from 1/1/02 forward and I will need to keep an accurate running total from the time the company stock was first issued.

Any suggestions? I appreciate any help. The help I have received here as saved me several times!

I would group on the person with the shares sub-report in the group header.
I would then add a second sub-report in the details section to show that person's transactions.

Links to the sub-reports: Shares sub-report would be person to person. Linking in the transactions sub-report would be also be person-person.

Specifing the date range in the main report will not affect the date range of the information coming from your sub-reports unless you link the date fields.

Select expert (or parameter) for the main report would be the date you want to check for a transaction.
Select expert in the transaction sub can then be set to >= Jan 1,2002.
This will then bring back only transactions after Jan 1 for each person, while the Shares sub will still bring back records from the beginning of time.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back