Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inbound/Outbound Traffic Separation

Status
Not open for further replies.

osuman

Technical User
Nov 22, 2000
US
Anyone know if you can have two internet connections coming into a server and specify that you want all outbound traffic to use connection A, but you want all reponses or requests (inbound traffic) to come in on connection B?

It doesn't seem like it should be that hard. Isn't part of a standard IP packet essentially the "return address". It seems if the server knows that it needs have all inbound traffic on another connection it could rewrite the packet for the "return address" to be inbound connection and then send the packet out the outbound connection.

Also, if the server were performing NAT for other clients, could such a scheme still work? Again, I don't see why not, but then I really don't know the details of NAT.

Thanks.

Should be able to do this through the ROUTE command, depending on the OS.

On the server, put a route statement in telling the server to send all traffic to the default router using the IP of Connection A.

On the router, put a route statment in telling the router to send all traffic to the IP address of Connection B.

Mike

Thanks for the response.

A couple more questions:

1) Is your answer assuming that the server is the router. For example, if I were using Windows Internet Connection Sharing. Maybe I should have made this clearer. This also leads to my next question...

2) You said it depends on the OS. Will it work with Windows 2000 or better.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back