Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inbound connections - no nat

Status
Not open for further replies.

sscalsk

Technical User
Mar 1, 2001
US
I have a pix 515 v4.4(4) and am looking to setup a 2 interface - no NAT configuration. I have the lines:

nat (inside) 0 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0
conduit permit icmp any any

my outside network is 192.168.2.0 and the inside is 192.168.3.0 yet when I am outside the pix any inbound pings to a valid host address are denied. If I do an outbound connection then try an inbound ping again it works. An entry is made in the xlate (?) table as shown by the "sh xlate" command. My understanding is that nat 0 "lets inside addresses be recognized on outside networks". This having to make an outbound connection first behaviour seems wrong - can anyone show me what I am missing? I would like the inbound ping to work.

-= stan

Hi,

The nat command is a dynamic translation - that is, the xlate table will only hold a translation when the inside host makes a connection to the outside world. This entry will eventually time out.

The static command is used to make permanent entries into the xlate table. Use this if you need to be able to ping hosts on the inside leg from the outside.

Cheers - Flypper

Try adding

static (inside,outside) 192.168.3.0 192.168.3.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

Bye
ExIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back