Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inakam modem driver? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTipster

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
GB
As the inakam website is down and the company has vanished it is near impossible to get the drivers. Do any of you with the modem still have the driver (it uses the intel ambient chipset)? If so could you send it to me. (dlong@uswitch.com)

I had the same problem but thankfully it is now solved. Trying to contact Inakam proved a waste of time. The key is to recognise that the modem is based upon a common chipset (Intel 537) and that there are a number of alternative places to obtain drivers. You can find out more on the modemhelp website (url below). It is appalling that so many people have been inconvenienced and annoyed by having an unsuitable driver loaded in with the shipping product.

See the post by Mika.

There are two sites with alternative drivers. I personally found that the one from (AMI-IA92 PCI modem) solved my line-dropping problem. I could not download and install the alternative from
Note that it also depends upon your ISP. I had no problems with the original driver when I use an ISP called Global Internet here in London UK. However when I accessed Blueyonder ISP (i.e. Telewest) the modem could no longer cope. Of course Telewest Tech Support said that it was my equipment which was at fault and that I should report it to the manufacturer. In a sense they were right but it would be better customer service to support a wider range of modems or at least alert customers to known problems rather than going into denial.

My connection speed is now generally around 52 Kbps which is not bad for most purposes. I've been using it continually ever since.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back