Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jocasio

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2002
US
Hey gang:

I hope you all can help. I've run into and have been able toresolve this issue while installing Win 2K, but the machine I'm receiving this error message on has been running Win 2K for at least a year now. I came into work this morning and rebooted my system. when it started, it goes through the BIOS check, and then it get's the black screen with the status bar for windows. Once this is complete, I receive the BSoD with the error stated above. The entire message is as follows:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x08273EAB0,0xC000009C,0x00000000,0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check you hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your compter.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for more information on troublshooting Stop errors.

Well, I don't have any viruses on the box, I have not installed any new hard drives or HD controllers, there is also no corruption on the HD.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the culprit.

Many thanks for your assistance in thsi.

jocasio

How have you tested your HDD to be able to state "There is also no corruption on the HD." ?

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Yes. I ran all of the tests suggested this morning.

If you have a spare HDD put it into the pc and see if it boots.

Also can you access the HDD if you boot from floopy / cd ?

Thanks again for the reply.

I do have a spare drive, but it is not formatted with an OS. I also tried to boot a Win98 floppy and I received the following error:

Disk I/O error
Replace the disk and then press any key....

jocasio

Personally I'd start checking cables, making sure that everything is connected correctly before doing anything else.
Then put on the spare HDD and start an install (any OS) just to see if the disk is accepted

Thanks again.
I'm in the process of doing this right now. I've already removed and reinserted the cables and right now I'm running setup to see if I could do a repair...

Any other thought in the mean-time are welcome!
jocasio

bcastner:

Thanks for the response. I ran this and it got my machine up and running. What's curious is I ran a scan disk earlier and got no errors (I put the disk in a Win 98 box). I was toying with the chkdsk utility earlier but could not cd to the path on t he cd rom (it also did not find it locally). I had to copy it to a floppy and ran it from there.

Hopefully my machine will stay stable...

Thanks again

jocasio

Glad to hear the news.

I would download from the hard drive manufacturers website their freeware diagnostic/setup tool and run a non-destructive test.

Usually the download is an image that creates a self-booting floppy boot disk.

It might have been a glitch, or an early warning of future hard disk issues. The diagnostic tool should identify any persistent issues.

Best,
Bill Castner

I have a similar problem.

After an unplanned power off, I have been getting stop errors on my Windows 2000 machine and am unable to get at the Maxtor 34098H4 drive. I believe that the power off probably corrupted my Windows start up.

The machine boots up through the POST etc. and doesn't blue screen with stop errors until after the Windows 2000 splash screen shows it is starting to load.

This is the error:
Stop error 0X000007B (0x820BE390, 0XC00000032, X000000000) inaccessible_boot_device

The instructions are to check IDE cables etc. (I have done so), check for viruses (can't get at the drive to do so and doubt this is the issue) and run chkdsk /f

I have tried booting with the Windows 2000 professional cd in the drive, but it seems to be bypassed/ignored.

I have done a search for utilites for the Maxtor drive, but am having difficulty finding anything useful (or free)

I am not ready to re-format as I am still in the process of moving data off this machine onto my new one.

??
Caroline

. go to the Maxtor website and download PowerMAX. Use the non-destructive testing, fixing, options

. To boot from the Windows 2000 CD, at first start hit Del or whatever key is indicated to enter BIOS setup. Under the BIOS setup there should be an advanced option to set the boot order of devices. Move the CD ROM drive to the first position. Save your changes, insert the CD and restart the computer.

(Remember to later reverse the changes)

Have also found running fixmbr from XP recovery console can fix this issue but should really be a last resort!!

Almost there..
I started up using the Windows 2000 cd after changing the boot order in the BIOS. It prompted me for the reovery console, but unfortunately the administrator password eludes me. I bypassed that...and continued to boot into Windows. It was slow but no issues.
The machine is up and running...once the data is transferred over I will try the Maxtor diagnostic suggested above, then scrub the drive down.
Thanks for you help. This is a great forum.

Almost there..
I started up using the Windows 2000 cd after changing the boot order in the BIOS. It prompted me for the reovery console, but unfortunately the administrator password eludes me. I bypassed that...and continued to boot into Windows. It was slow but no issues.
The machine is up and running...once the data is transferred over I will try the Maxtor diagnostic suggested above, then scrub the drive down.
Thanks for you help. This is a great forum.

I hope you all can help. I came home to a blue screen with
STOP: 0x0000007B (0x08167E030,0xC0000032,0x00000000,0x00000000 message.
I'm running Win 2K, but I do not have boot or recovery cd. is my HDD going bad.

Possibly.

Start by using the web to find the website of the hard disk manufacturer. Maxtor, Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung etc. have a diagnostic/setup image to download. They all work the same: they create a floppy disk boot image.

Run the non-destructive repair utilities on the utility, and keep your fingers crossed.

My error is:
Stop: 0x0000007b <0x818B3030, 0XC0000032, 0X00000000, 0X00000000 INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVIVE
sAYS TO ANY NEW HARDWARE, CK FOR VIRUS AND SCAN HD WITH CHKDSK /F
dONE ALL OF THIS NOW WHAT.

I too have this error. Just got a new MB, cpu and ram. (ASUS P%P800, P4-2.8G, 512MBDDR) Tried booting with 3 different HDs with previously installed and running Win2K Pro, and get this error. Can't boot from my SCSI CD rom (set to ID 0, LUN 0)using Adaptec 2930U card. Says it recognizes a bootable disc but won't boot from it even after making sure BIOS reads this drive first. Also tried swapping IDE cables. Still no luck.
What have I missed? Suggestions?
TIA

Have similar problem. Hope someone can help. Have new MB, CPU and ram. Try to boot with 3 diferent HDs with previously working Win2Kpro and get the same "inaccessable_boot_device" error. Can't seem to boot from SCSI CD rom, set ID 0 LUN 0 and BIOS set to from this device first. Tried swapping cables. Out of ideas. Help greatly appreciated. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back