Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE..

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandamuri

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
US
Hi, I installed windwos 2000 professional and i partitioned my hard disk using partition magic. Hard disk size is 7.5GB. I allocated 2.3GB for Linux. I installed Red Hat linux 7.2. I am using GRUB(Grand unified boot loader). When i restart my computer GRUB asks me for which OS to load. When i chose Win 2000 i am getting the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I can boot Linux successfully. What should i doto fix this problem. I don't want to install WINDOWS again (if possible). I tried to go through the repair process that windows suggested and didn't work. All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hi,

Is the partition that use W2k formatted NTSF or FAT32 ?
If NTFS I think that is the reason.

Regards.
Charles81

I used FAT32. Earlier i used NTFS.In both the scenarios i have the same problem. But this time i installed win200 again on the windows partition and during install i asked the setup to format the partition to NTFS. I installed it successfully and now everything is fine. I can boot both linux and windows which ever i want without the dreaded blue screen.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back