Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inaccessible_boot_device error (new)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyfram

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2003
Hi

I had a windows 2000 Pro computer with the latest patches and updates as of 3/4/04. One day the power supply (250W) fan started making that grinding noise as if it was going to fail. I removed the power supply and installed a new 400W supply. I made sure all the cards, power cables, and data cables were installed correctly. But when I turned the computer on, windows started to boot, but just before gettting the login window, I got the blue screen with

STOP 0x0000007B (0x8208E830, 0x00000032, 0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Other than removing the power cables, I didn't touch any of the drives. All of the drives are detected as they should be during the bootup and in the BIOS. There are no error messages or unusual beeping on startup.

Primary Master: 40GB Western Digital
Primary Slave: none
Secondary Master: ATAPI 40X CD ROM
Secondary Slave: Pioneer DVD drive

(Also there is a SCSI CD burner by itself)

Any ideas? How can I find out what those parameters mean?

Thanks
Andy

Have you tried last know good configuration? Hit f8 on the first windows screen. It might get you past the error.

The last known good config didn't work.

I went into the recovery console (booting from the win2k CD) and ran a chkdsk /R. It found a few errors and repaired them. The system came back up after that.

Time to make an updated ERD.

This drive was only 3 months old at best...

Thanks!

glad to see you got it working, I would make sure that its backed up incase it fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back