Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inaccessible boot device on install

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunh

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
DE
I have just installed an IBM deskstar as 2nd disk in my P900
I have ME on first disk. I formatted 2nd disk into 2 partitions.
Tried to install Win 2000 on a partition but get BSOD and
Inaccessible boot device after 1st reboot of install.

Additional info - ASUS motherboard
Any help would be appreciated.

Shaunh,

I just got the same problem! I too have a dual-install, <formerly> w/ Win98 on my c: partition and 2k server on the d:\ partition. The 2k server install started bluescreening, so I decided to just reinstall the whole mess....now I'm here, w/ &quot;Inaccessible boot device.&quot; I'll post back if I figure anything out....

Matt

Matt,

Sorry I did not get back to the forum but I resolved my problem. The issue was that my PC has an ULTRA DMA/66 and UltraDMA/100 slot on the motherboard (ASUS A7V)
The PC was set up on the 100 and W2K failed to load (did not see hard disk after second install boot)
When I moved over to the 66 slot all installed OK and W2k could see the disk.
Also ME is much more stable on the slower slot, but I see no performance degradation.

Hope this solves your problem!

Shaun

I have the same problem, but I can't switch to the 66 cause then it won't recognize my 80GB hard drive. Any other solutions?

What migth help you is a small hint in regitry

HKEY_Local_machine\system\Mounteddevices

kill all entries in this tree ( not the tree itself)
windows will make the new correct entries automaticaly

you can acces the registry on this HDD by pluging it in another system whith a running 2K installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back