Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In Word 2007, T of C Entries Missing Where Images Were Placed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsquared18

Technical User
Jun 10, 2001
US
Hello,

After creating a document, I used Word 2007's Table of Contents feature to build a T of C for headings 1, 2, and 3.

In the document, I had used text boxes to place some images in the document, using the text-box layout feature to wrap text to the left of the text boxes, whose right-hand edges align with the right-hand margin of the text. The images do not have captions and are not included in any T of C.

I noticed that where those text-boxes-with-images have been placed, the level 3 subheads (which have been included in the T of C set up) do not appear in the T of C when I build it. The ones above and below do, but not the one where the image in a text box is.

I experimented with inserting an image without the text box, but the same problem occurs.

Absent a better solution, my workaround will be to take note of where the images are located, and after generating the last T of C before publishing the material, I'll manually enter those headings and page numbers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

Do you still have Heading 3 style of text, that does not appear in TOC?

combo

Heading 3 texts appear in the ToC except where the images are. Where an image is adjacent to a Heading-3 subheading, the subheading is missing when the ToC is built.

Bill

Are these textboxes anchored to the headings? If so, moving the textbox anchors to a paragraph other than the heading paragraph may help.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

I didn't knowingly anchor them to anything. How do I determine if one is anchored and, if so, to which paragraph? How do I change the anchor?

Also, as I mention earlier, images not in text boxes exhibit the same problem. Can images also be anchored to paragraphs? If they cannot, then anchoring may not be the cause.

Bill

Every 'floating' image is anchored to a paragraph somewhere. Typically, clicking on such an image (or textbox) will cause Word to display an anchor symbol wherever the image is anchored. If not, click on the ¶ symbol on the Ribbon's Home tab to ensure all non-printing symbols are displayed. You can then drag & drop the anchor to a different location. You can also use the picture formatting tools to lock the anchor in position.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Hmm. Maybe we're getting closer. Yes, I see the anchor in the left-hand margin when I select an image.

If I left click on the anchor, a smaller anchor appears next to the arrow. But when I try to drag the anchor to another location, the anchor doesn't move. I can't get it to relocate.

Bill

The 'smaller anchor' is probably a padlock, meaning someone has already locked the anchor in place. You'll need to unlock it before you can move it.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Very confusing. In the first place, I created this document; no one else has worked on it. Secondly, when I go to Format Text Box --> Layout --> Advanced, the "Lock anchor" option is unchecked.

After reading your comments about anchors, I found similar instructions elsewhere on the Web. Tried to follow them, but the anchors won't move.

Bill

OK, if you select the anchor, another little anchor will appear. That simply confirms that the anchor is selected. You should then be able to drag the anchor up/down the page to a different paragraph (it won't move until you get to the next/previous paragraph), though probably not left/right.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Thanks for your patience. This time when I tried to move the anchor, I realized that the "paragraph" below (the one the anchor was on) was a break without a paragraph break. Once I added the paragraph break, the anchor moved as expected. And, yes, that solved the ToC issue.

Regards,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back