Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In windows explorer Administrator.000 appears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLADY218

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
Im running windows 2000 pro. When i go into windows explorer, documents and settings to view my logins I see 2 administrator folders that contain the exact same information. One folder is administrator and the other is administrator.000. Does anyone know what the 000 means I cant find anything on microsofts web site. My computer is running fine however. Im just curious. Does anyone know

when you get multilple profiles with .000, .001, 002 etc then it means that the profile is corrupt. If can logout as Administrator and log in with another account with admin rights , or map a drive to that computers C:\. Then rename or ### the begining of the profile name eg change administor to #administrator and administrator.000 to#administrator.000. The next time you log in windows will create a new profile for you called administrator. Once you have made sure you dont need any files from the old profiles you can delete them.

Corrupt? Windows does this anytime it tries to create a users profile folder, but finds one of that name already existing. Hence it appends the .00x to the end of the one it creates. If you reinstall windows on top of an existing installation, it will do this. But yes, to get back to a profile without the 0's, rename both the older ones while logged on as someone else. Then copy back any files you need before deleting the other two. ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

Why do you think that Windows tries to create another profile when there is one that already exists with that name? The majority of the time it means there is something wrong with your profile - unless you are reinstalling Windows.

You have obviously never worked on a helpdesk :p

"Why do you think that Windows tries to create another profile when there is one that already exists with that name?"

Your question answers itself. Because one already exists. Try this. Make a user. Copy an existing profile and make it that user's name. Log on as this user and go look at which profile he's using. It'll be user.000.

Too much time on a helldesk for me. And every time I've seen windows run across a corrupt profile, it simply crashes, not create a new one. On none of our machines have I ever seen a .000 profile just appear, whithout someone having monkeyed around with the users/profiles. I think you give it too much credit, windows isn't that smart yet. At least not on my network it hasn't been. :) ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

maybe its not corrupt but thats the easiest way to explain it to callers :p

probably 25% of my calls are fixed by renaming profiles though but your point is taken. :D

Thank you for you insight - the final conclusion was.
Copied everything i needed from the .000 profile to my original profile and then deleted the .000 profile. Everything is well know.

I believe it was not corrupted but created a mirror profile and windows changed the name to the mirrored profile to .000.

Thank you and good day.

Actually this could happen if you've been messing around with direcroty permissions and security. If you deny access to your user folder to all groups and users except yourself - Windows will lose access to it as well (you need to include SYSTEM).

Also, new install or something you've been using for a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back