Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In Windows 11 I do not see main system window although I see command window 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan11

Programmer
Apr 10, 2023
SK
I cannot use VFP9 on my windows 11 because I do not see main system window (I have no config.fpw in VFP9 folder) although command com I see - but browse, modify file etc, does not work (howver, I can run /n notepad - it works).

What is interesting, that I have laptop with win 10 original, I update it to windows 11 and there VFP9 works, i.e. I see main system Window

You see the command window. So type in _screen.left=0 and ENTER, then _screen.top =0 and ENTER.

Chriss

I was 14 days out, so, I was just testing it, but I saw alert: Object THEN_SCREEN is not found.

I suppose that in Windows 11 is something missing what was in Windows 10 which was updated to Windows 11

In all versions where it works I see when launching VFP9 firstly window "Task pane manager - Solution samples" but do not see in Windows 11 on new computer where I see only command window.

I forgot to write that all exe-applications on my new computer with Windows 11 work only main VFP9 program not???

regkey_v8klyi.jpg

Do you find this key with regedit?

Then set it up this way:
desktopkeys_j7c2i0.jpg

It's still far simpler to just set the _screen position with the two assignments in the visible command window but FCS, if you don't even find the main VisualFoxPro key in the registry you don't have VFP installed.

Btw, it is important you do this when VFP is not yet started, otherwise closing VFP would store the bad _Screen position back into the registry. Your manual setting can only be fruitful for the next start. A typical scenario the _screen becomes "off screen" is when you used VFP in a multi display situation and then detach additional displays, at start VFP won't automatically adjust the _screen position to the visible Windows desktop, it will position the _screen wrong even when the current desktop size is smaller than the stored coordinates. The visible desktop, no matter how you configure your displays with a graphics card driver, will always include the monitor with coordinates (0,0), so that's a good (top/left) or (row/column) position, always. Height and width are less important, as long as you can get at the top right window buttons, you can then maximise the screen within the visible desktop.

Chriss

SUPER - SUPER - SUPER - THANK YOU Chriss!!! I made your setup in registry and it works.

Ok,

was zoomed at 1? Because then just setting Top/Left doesn't move the _screen as it's maximised off screen.
Anyway, these registry keys will always enable you to get the screeen back into the visible desktop.

Chriss

Try running VFP9 in compatibility mode for Windows 10 or check for updates that might make it compatible with Windows 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back