Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

% in TWILIGHT ZONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

midoubleraj

Technical User
May 16, 2002
YU
My Processor Usage Percentage is between 20 and 30% in idle state (no programs or tasks running except Windows System Monitor), even with clean OS installation (only OS on my HDD). I updated all my hardware drivers (except BIOS) and nothing.

GET THIS !!!

Then I started moving my mouse really fast and Processor Usage Percentage dropped to 1
When I use the scroll wheel on some documents % percentage raises. GO FIGURE

I tried to find the driver for my ASOUND AS-320 mouse and only ended up with kenmouse.exe that couldn't fix the problem.
Besides that, very often my CPU locks on 75% (usually after being on Internet). Moving mouse then only cuts down few %. After restart everything is back to "normal" (around 27%).

This isn't right. CPU shouldn't work for nothing and I can't find out what it is doing.

I hope that it's software, but I fear that it is a hardware problem.

HELP! This is driving me crazy.

Chaintech 7AJA2, AMD Duron 700MHz, Windows 98 SE

Are there any processes running that are eating up the processor time? In win98 I use a program called process viewer to check that.

Since English isn't my primary language maybe I wasn't clear enough. Nothing except WIN 98SE on my HDD and nothing except Explorer, Systray and Windows System Monitor after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I downloaded ATM.exe but it showed that ATM itself was eating 99%.

Then I downloaded WINTOP.exe and it showed that 99% is idle.

I asked many people about this particular problem, I wasted to much time, nerves and money trying to resolve it and now I give up.

I have a unique PC.

Looks like its time to start replacing components one by one till the problem is fixed. I can only hope that you have access to them or friends that can help you out. My gut tells me your motherboard may be the problem.

Good Luck.

Do you notice the problem when not looking at a cpu moniter?

Yes, I do. Fan always speeds up when I scrool throrugh this page or any other for that matter.

My computer restarted itself few times. Main board is probably on its end.

I have heard that 'winmodems' can cause the CPU to run threads like this, but I don't think you'll ever get 100% free CPU anyway, and it really doesn't matter.
If the CPU was stuck at 100% usage, that may be cause for concern.
For your info, when my system is idle, CPU usage is shown in system monitor to be very low, cycling from perhaps 1% to 10% over a 2-4 second period. If I then move the mouse a lot, I notice, as you do, the CPU usage appears to drop to almost zero. But don't worry about it, what you are experiencing won't shorten the life of your CPU. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back