Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In Report Builder 3.0 SQL 2016, how do I change the order of groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
Newbie at SSRS but long time experienced Crystal Reports guy. I have developed a report with 3 groups. However I want to change the order of the groups. I cannot find a simple way to do this, as in a drag and drop of the grouped fields or sections. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Software Training, Implementation, Programming and Support for Macola Progression, Macola ES, Macola 10, Synergy, and Crystal Reports.
Check out our Macola tools:

The easiest solution is what I use for Months of the year. The system will usually alphebtise them. However if I set them up with a numberical value they I can order by that value, Example: 1 = January, 2 = February, etc. When displayed replace the number with the text string.

So to add a little more to my previous post. I have a field with numbers representing the order and specific months of the year. When I query I order by that numberical value but display the field that has the months by name.

Sorry for the late reply, I got pulled off onto another project.

Nylia, you are telling me how to display month names but still sort by month value within a single group. This is not even close to what I am asking.

I have multiple groups. For example Order, Customer, Salesperson. I want to change so that it groups by Order, Salesperson, Customer. The only way I can see to do this is to delete and re-create the groups, which I really do not want to do. In crystal reports I could drag a group inside or outside another and it changed the order of groups in 5 seconds. I am looking for a similar solution in SSRS.

Software Training, Implementation, Programming and Support for Macola Progression, Macola ES, Macola 10, Synergy, and Crystal Reports.
Check out our Macola tools:

Sorry thought you were grouping by month. At the bottome of the Reporting Servces Report Builder you have an area for Row Groups. Have you tried this. I use it to segment out the Weeks within a month.
It might also work to use a clustered index on the there fields that you are considering related, Order, Customer and Salesperson. This clustered index may assist with both speed and ordering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back